"I am a devotee of all bhaktas that adore the Lord."
- The Tiru-th-Tonda-th-Tokai.
1. Whenever they behold (any of) the devotees of the Lord,
Feeling humble and shy, they hail them in great joy;
Love-borne they seek the devotees, even as the calf
Seeks its mother-cow, and speak to them in all humility
With words all compact of sweetness. (4147)
2. When they happen to witness anywhere the flawless pooja
Unto Sambu performed by devotees, whoever they be--,
They gain at once the sat-bhaavana and gracious look
Of such worshippers in the presence of many;
By reason of their rare love and devotion, they are
Loftier than the loftiest. (4148)
3. They will, in soaring joy and insatiable devotion, render
Willing pooja to the Merciful One and His devotees;
They possess such tapas which links them to the feet
Unattainable even by Brahma throned on Lotus
And Vishnu whose bed is the Snake. (4149)
4. “Whatever acts the body does, let them be invested
With the competency to reach the lotus-feet of the Lord whose
Flag sports the Bull.” With this, their cherished ideal,
They render their service to the Lord whose ear is decked
With a white Kuzhai; they will not slip
Into uterus--the pit of transmigration;
The whole world is no match for their glory. (4150)
5. The will ever listen to the holy lilas of Sankara;
Their love for the Merciful One is limitless; by reason
Of their love--unbeknown to others--, for the Lord
Who willingly wears on His beauteous crown the river Ganga,
The crescent moon and konrai flowers, they are privileged
To reach the Lord’s feet, like unto the red lotus-flower. (4151)
6. They hail the Lord alone, melt in devotion, and feeling
Exceedingly joyous, their very speech becomes incoherent;
The great flood of tears cascading down, washes
Away the flawless holy ash applied to their chests
The hair on their bodies stands erect in thrilled ecstasy;
For ever modest and shy, their bodies are ever atremble;
They are full of virtue true. (4152)
7. These are service-minded devotees endowed
With a perfect consciousness who never once at any time--
Whether standing, sitting, lying, walking,
Eating, sleeping, waking or winking--,
Forget the flower-feet that dance in the Ambalam. (4153)
8. Poised in the tapaswic servitorship to Sankara
They flawlessly enjoy themselves with the fruit thereof;
Their glory invests the world with resplendence;
They adore the feet of the Merciful One--the Lord
Of Tiruvaaroor--, and in devotion which for ever swells
In their chittha- -, they as true bhaktas hail the Lord. (4154)
1. Even as the calf. . . . mother-cow: The love of the mother-cow for its
newly-delivered calf is unique. Vatsa means calf. The Lord is Bhaktavatsala
i.e., the Lord who is the Mother of devotees. His love for his devotees is
likened to the mother-cow’s love for its newly-delivered calf.
2. True devotees gain with ease at-one-ment with the Lord.
3. Merciful One: The Sivagnaana Siddhiyaar affirms that all the acts of Siva are
fraught with mercy which is grace.
4. These devotees have dedicated themselves totally to their Lord.
5. These either sing the Lord’s glory or listen to it.
6. They are full of virtue true: According to Mahamuni Milton, “If virtue feeble were,
Heaven itself would stoop to her.”
7. Every act of the devotee is a demonstration of his love for the Lord.
8. tapaswic servitorship: Tapas, according to Siva Siddhanta, is constitutive of
charya, kriya, yoga and gnaana. The fruit of tapas is flawless life.
Here ends the Puranam of Pattharaai-p-Panivaar
Sincere thanks to Sri. T N Ramachandran of thanjavur, for permitting his English rendering of the holy text periyapurANam be published here.