Prayer of the Day
Om Prayer from Chandogya Upanishad
ओमित्येत-दक्षर-मुद्गीत-मुपासीत ओमिति ह्युद्गायति तस्योपव्याख्यानम् ॥ १.१ ॥
Hymn as Romanized text
omityeta-dakShara-mudgIta-mupAsIta omiti hyudgAyati tasyopavyAkhyAnam || 1.1 ||
Meaning of the Prayer Hymn:
Om this letter, which is called the udgiita shall be worshipped!
Om, thus the singing is done! Hereafter, Its exposition!!
1. The praNava mantra (Om) is also called as udgIta (meaning one that is sung).
2. Om is the ultimate mantra, which is the nAda rUpa of Lord shiva,
shall be worshipped as the Lord Himself! Om and namaHshivAya are the
two most significant mantras for the worshippers.
3. Om is not just for chanting, it is for singing and hence it is called udgIta.
(That provides the peace! Relate to the song of Sambandhar where he calls the
devotees to sing in devotion the namaHshivAya mantra)
4. Vedas are chanted only after singing Om. Especially practitioners of sAmavEda are
5. Hereafter Its exposition!!
1. Pranava (Om) mantra